Grandmother helps neighbor after dog attack - WKRN News 2

Grandmother helps neighbor after dog attack

Posted: Updated: April 29, 2013 08:59 PM
LA VERGNE, Tenn. -

Life on Sullivan Trail in La Vergne is usually quiet and peaceful, but on Sunday afternoon, screams from a neighbor set a grandmother into action.

"At first I thought the dog was playing, and then I realized he was stuck to her and she started screaming this blood curling scream that just ran through me," recalled Twanna Peach.

Peach was sitting on her couch by her front window when a noise caused her to look up. She saw her neighbor being attacked by a pit bull.

"So I bolted out the back door around the back of my house to go over and help," she explained.

The pit bull named Coco is owned by the victim's roommates and had gotten off its chain when it attacked.

"The scream, it is going to be with me for awhile and I was hoping, when I got there it would not be as bad as it was," Peach said.

As she was running towards her neighbor's house, she was yelling for the victim to get inside the car.

"She just kept saying, ‘Oh God, oh God why did he do that!' I said, ‘Honey, I don't know but just get in the car, get in the car.' I was screaming to tell her to get in the car because that was going to be our escape if he attacked again," Peach explained.

Fortunately, the dog ran off into the trees behind the house, but serious damage had already been done to the victim's arm.

"When a grown person looks you in the eye and says am I going to live? It is a serious situation," Peach added.

Peach applied pressure to the victim's arm until the paramedics arrived.

The dog is under observation and quarantine for 10 days at P.A.W.S. in Murfreesboro.

The dog's owner told Nashville's News 2 that Coco has been getting off of his chain recently and they are not sure how he has been doing it.

They say Coco has never been aggressive in the past and they do not know why he attacked their roommate.

They also said that after the 10 day quarantine period they will have to decide the dog's fate. They said that out of caution, they are leaning towards having the dog euthanized.

The victim was treated and released from Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. She suffered nerve damage and fractured bones on her right hand.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.