Metro reviewing security for Country Music Marathon - WKRN News 2

Metro reviewing security for Country Music Marathon

Posted: Updated: April 16, 2013 05:30 PM

Authorities from Metro police, FBI, ATF and the U.S. Attorney's office held a meeting for media availability on Tuesday to discuss their plans for increased security for the upcoming Country Music Marathon.

Metro police chief Steve Anderson said there had been questions about security for runners, their friends, marathon workers and Nashvillians who line the streets cheering for the participants in light of Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon.

"I want to make it very clear, we are committed to the safety and enjoyment of this event" said Anderson. "I also want to be very clear there is no known threat to the Country Music Marathon or to marathons in general".

The marathon and half-marathon draws some 30,000 runners along with family and friends.

The starting line for the race is at Centennial Park on West End and finishes at LP Field.

FBI Special Agent Keith Moses said classified information from investigators in the Boston Marathon case is being passed along to authorities here.

"We've been in contact with our Boston field office, and FBI headquarters. Any information that is received in this tragic terrorist attack at the Boston Marathon yesterday will be shared with Chief Anderson and other members of his department along with members of the FBI'S joint terrorism task force," Moses explained.

Officials stated Monday that they'll be reviewing plans in light of the Boston Marathon bombing that killed three and injured more than 150 others.

AFT Special Agent Keith Fulton asked the public to notify authorities if they see any suspicious activity.

"Discreet use of cameras or video recorders, sketching or note taking in the area. [Anyone with an] interest in speaking with building maintenance personnel, we ask that building security folks take a look at that," he said.

Nashville's News 2 also spoke to organizers of the Country Music Marathon, The Competitor Group.

President Scott Dickey said there has been no noticeable withdraws from runners and that they are hearing from participants who are more excited about the race here, and plan to run in honor of the victims in Boston.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKRN (Young Broadcasting station). All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.