Springfield fire kills disabled man - WKRN News 2

Springfield fire kills disabled man

Posted:
Neighbor, Kevin Redd Neighbor, Kevin Redd
SPRINGFIELD, Tenn. -

A disabled man is dead after fire broke out in his Springfield home.

Just after 9:00 p.m. Saturday neighbors saw smoke coming from an apartment.

Simon Kendricks, who is confined to a wheelchair was trapped inside.

Neighbor Kevin Redd was walking his dog when he saw the flames and heard yelling.

"I could hear the gentleman screaming for help," said Redd. "And my first thought was to react. I had to get in and get him out."

Redd and another neighbor ran and broke through the front door.

They tried to go inside but only got a few feet in before the smoke and flames pushed them back.

"The smoke and fire was so overwhelming it kind of knocked us backwards," Redd said. "It was extremely hot."

The Springfield Fire Department arrived a few minutes later and found the victim on the floor. They immediately carried him out of the home. 

Kendricks was taken by ambulance to Northcrest Medical Center in Springfield before being airlifted to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Kendricks died from his injuries around 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

A firefighter was injured during the rescue. Kevin Dickerson was treated for a back sprain at Northcrest Medical Center and was released.

Dickerson is expected to be back at the fire station at the start of his next shift. 

According to Fire Chief Jimmy Hamill, the apartment blaze started in the living room and appears to be an accident.

A discarded cigarette is thought to be the cause, but an investigation is ongoing.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKRN (Young Broadcasting station). All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.