Fairview High School closed Tuesday, power strip sparks fire - WKRN News 2

Fairview High School closed Tuesday, power strip sparks fire

Posted: Updated: March 5, 2013 05:20 PM

School is closed at Fairview High School Tuesday after a small fire broke out early in the morning and caused heavy smoke and water damage.

The Williamson County Sheriff's Office told Nashville's News 2 a fire was reported just after 3 a.m. at the school in the 2500 block of Fairview Boulevard, also known as Highway 100, in Fairview.

Police and firefighters reported seeing heavy smoke billowing out of one of the doorways.

Officials said that a slushee machine inside the ROTC department was left on overnight causing it to overheat and spark a fire.

The machine was plugged into a power strip that was plugged into the wall, and once the fire started it also burned some polyester uniforms.

The polyester melted, leaving gobs stuck to the wall.

Luckily, sprinkler system was activated, which quickly put out the fire, but prompted an electrical hazard.

As firefighters tried to enter the building, they said they could feel an electrical current.

The power company was called in to cut the power to the building so it was safe for crews to enter.

By Tuesday afternoon, clean-up was well underway as maintenance crews scrubbed the soot and the duct work was being cleaned out.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.