A Cheatham County mother is outraged after her son was choked by another student while on a school bus earlier this month.
The mother, who did not want to be identified, told Nashville's News 2 Investigates her son blacked out during the incident, struck his head, broke his new glasses and suffered a concussion.
The mother added she was not notified of the incident, which occurred on January 15, for three days.
"It infuriates me that they wouldn't call me during this, that he was choked [and] that he had a concussion," she said. "We send our kids to school and put them on the bus and expect them to be safe."
A week after being choked, the 13-year-old victim was taken to the doctor after complaining of headaches.
The doctor confirmed he suffered a concussion in the school bus incident.
The victim's mother said she has since filed an assault report with the Cheatham County Sheriff's Department.
On Monday, Nashville's News 2 Investigates contacted the school system regarding the incident.
Officials declined to speak on camera, but by phone Superintendent Stan Curtis said all procedures were correctly followed.
"The bus driver questioned the kids to make sure that everyone was ok when it happened, but we are not medical professionals either. The boy didn't indicate anything out of the norm," Curtis said.
Curtis added the bus driver stopped the bus when he saw the incident. The driver reportedly broke up the scuffle and asked if the boy was ok.
"We certainly want the safety of our children put first and I've been talking with the assistant principal who handled it," he said.
Curtis continued, "As far as handling it appropriately, I think, we handled it through our process, as far as diagnosing it, the bus driver questioned the kids to make sure that everyone was ok."
According to the superintendent, the boy did not complain of a serious injury, therefore the bus driver did not notify emergency personnel, which is protocol for a serious injury.
The bus driver went on to report the incident to school administration.
"In talking to the assistant principal we handled things in an appropriate manner, they went through board policy, we did the procedural discipline that we do," Curtis said. "We did not talk to the parent about what we did with someone else's child which is our policy as far as the confidentiality of it. But we did handle it as part of discipline and we are going through that with the other student."
The boy is continuing to recover from his injuries, but he is no longer riding the bus.
The other child involved, a female middle school student, has been disciplined.