Homeowners urged to equip home with carbon monoxide alarms - WKRN News 2

Homeowners urged to equip home with carbon monoxide alarms

Posted:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

After more than three dozen students from Drexel Prep were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday, officials are urging homeowners to equip their homes with carbon monoxide alarms.

"It is a safety piece of equipment that is priceless in the event that something happens," explained Kim Lawson of the Nashville Fire Department.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, toxic gas created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, propane and natural gas and other fuels burn.

"A lot of people light fires, they use equipment to heat their homes and there are just a lot more fuels burning in peoples, in and near their homes," Lawson said.

The build up of carbon monoxide in an enclosed area can be deadly but thankfully, protecting your home is easy by using a carbon monoxide alarm.

"This is going to detect an unusually high level of carbon monoxide right there. It is inexpensive, $18.68," said Home Depot employee Brandon Boyd.

Boyd told Nashville's News 2 the carbon monoxide alarms range in price depending on the features.

"We have a variety of models so there are different things you go for when you are choosing a carbon monoxide alarm," he explained.  

According to Lawson, carbon monoxide alarms should be installed near living and sleeping areas.

"Just like you would put a smoke alarm near bedroom areas and on every level of your home, the same [is true] with a carbon monoxide detector," Lawson said.  

Lawson added having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are priceless pieces of safety equipment which every home should be equipped with.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.