Elderly Madison woman loses everything in duplex fire - WKRN News 2

Elderly Madison woman loses everything in duplex fire

Posted: Updated: Dec 30, 2012 05:42 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

A fire broke out early Sunday morning at a duplex in Madison.

The blaze started around 8 a.m. in a unit located at 309 Myatt Drive and occupied by an 87-year old woman.

Kenneth Moore and his wife and daughter have lived next door since 2010.

"Ms. Williams came and knocked on our door," Moore said. "She was in her pajamas with no shoes.  She was very distraught, knocked on our door and said her house was on fire."

Officials on the scene said heavy smoke and flames were visible when they first arrived.

Fire crews told Nashville's News 2 they nearly had to remove the roof to get into the home to prevent working to keep to fire from spreading to the left side of the duplex.

An elderly woman that lived at the duplex was transported to Skyline Medical Center for smoke inhalation.

The other side of the duplex was only affected by smoke. Firefighters told Nashville's News 2 that it was livable at this time, but cleaning would be necessary.

Weather made it much harder for firefighters battling the flames. The water was freezing on the scene while crews worked to extinguish the fire. Medical units were also concerned about the risk of hypothermia due to the cold temperatures and close contact with water.

According the fire crews, the Red Cross is not being called in as family is taking in the woman who lived in the duplex.

Family members believe the fire may have started near a Christmas tree.

Two family pets perished in the early morning fire, which remains under investigation.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.