Tossed cigarette sparks apartment fire, displaces residents - WKRN News 2

Tossed cigarette sparks apartment fire, displaces residents

Posted: Updated: Nov 21, 2012 5:08 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

At least 11 residents have been displaced after a tossed cigarette sparked a two-alarm fire at a Nashville apartment complex Wednesday morning.

The fire was reported at Point Breeze apartments located in the 400 block of Lemont Drive just before 10 a.m.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the one building where at least eight units were damaged.

"I lost everything I had," said resident Chris Clemmons. "Me and my wife just moved from South Carolina to attend Nashville Auto Diesel College and we don't have anything."

Clemmons was among those residents who immediately began knocking on apartment doors when he realized there was a fire in an effort to get everyone out safely.

"I think as long as everyone got out and nobody got hurt, it's going to be okay," Clemmons said.

John Presley said he quickly came to his son's apartment from out of town after he learned of the devastating fire.

Presley said he and his son are continuing to search for his son's missing cat, Loki. The cat was inside one of the units that were heavily damaged.

Authorities said no injuries were reported in the fire. Residents credited some quick action by firefighters for keeping the flames from spreading to nearby units just a few feet from the burning building.

District Chief Don Alford said he called in a second alarm for more units when he was coming up the drive to the burning building.

"I was here about 25-years ago for another fire that spread quickly, so I knew we were up against," he told Nashville's News 2.

The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the displaced residents.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.