Child playing with matches accidentally starts house fire - WKRN News 2

Child playing with matches accidentally starts house fire

Posted: Updated: Sep 26, 2012 09:52 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -

A Nashville family was displaced Wednesday night after a young child inadvertently set a fire at the residence, causing heavy damage to the home.

The fire was reported just after 4 p.m. at the home located in the 1600 block of Lethia Drive in east Nashville.

Family members told Nashville's News 2 they believe a four-year-old child inside the home was playing with matches.

"My little brother got some matches, he went under the bed and then a match caught on fire but he didn't know it was going to catch on fire," Jacob Morris said. "I was watching TV, and then he ran to me and said, ‘The house is on fire!' [He was] crying. Then I ran out of the house."

The boys' grandmother, Flora Morris, said the family attempted to smother the fire themselves, but were unsuccessful.

All five family members were able to escape the home uninjured.

"We just ran, all of us there are five of us we got out and I'm so thankful for that," said Morris.

Authorities told Nashville's News 2 about 30% of the home sustained fire and water damage.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WKRN (Young Broadcasting station). All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.