Sumner County schools will remain closed on Monday while officials continue to work on reaching an agreement on the budget for the 2012-2013 school year.
On Friday, Director of Schools Del Phillips told Nashville's News 2 he wouldn't likely open schools without an approved budget.
"I think we're going to have to have some resolution from the county commission so how that comes to us I'm not sure yet," he said.
The county commission approved another $2.2 million for schools but on Thursday night the school board sent the budget request back, asking for an additional $2.7 million.
Phillips said without the increase, there would be cuts felt across the school system.
Schools could have re-opened on time if the school board chose to operate with a continuation budget.
Phillips recommended the postponement until the budget process is complete.
"The problem with that comes down to just a simple fact and that is if you start school under a continuation budget, and then cuts have to be made and those cuts are out into the buildings and into the classrooms," he said. "It's very difficult to do that in September or October when a budget is actually approved and finalized and sent to the state."
With schools closed, the pressure seems to be on the county commission.
When asked if that is true, Phillips answered, "Last year we were in that same situation you just mentioned where we were working on a continuation budget and we had asked for some compromises and didn't really get any feedback. Until we actually went out and fired individuals, fired employees," he said. "I think we kind of understood what position we were in last year and we were just trying to keep that from happening this year."
On Friday, County executive Anthony Holt called for an emergency meeting of the county commission on Monday evening to discuss the school board's proposed budget.
Phillips said if approved, students would be back in school by Wednesday.