The Goodwill store in Berry Hill was evacuated Wednesday morning after a vapor in the air made several people sick.
The Nashville Fire Department and a hazardous materials team responded to the store located at 780 Berry Road around 11:15 a.m.
Assistant Fire Chief Mike Franklin told Nashville's News 2 the initial call was reports of a white powder although there was no powder found at the scene.
When the first unit arrived, Franklin said the building was already evacuated.
There were 30 to 40 shoppers and employees in the store at the time.
Nine of those people reported a mild irritation to their eyes, ears, nose and throat.
One person was transported to Baptist Hospital as a precaution.
Everyone else was treated at the scene.
An hour later, Franklin said the HAZMAT crew had stabilized the situation and planned to reopen the building momentarily.
He said Berry Hill police had no reason to believe Goodwill was targeted although the investigation is ongoing.
No additional information was released.