5 found dead in RV at charity event, carbon monoxide suspected - WKRN News 2

5 found dead in RV at charity event, carbon monoxide suspected

Posted: Updated: Sep 19, 2011 4:20 PM CDT

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn.  – Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected in the deaths of five people whose bodies were found inside a camper at a charity event at the Clarksville Speedway Sunday.

The victims, Timothy Bryan Stone, 39, Allison Elizabeth Bagwell-Wyatt, 32, James Franklin Wall Ii, 38, Jonathan Michael Over, 27, and Kathryn Elizabeth Over, 27, were all from the Clarksville area.  Jonathan and Kathryn Over were married.

Their bodies were discovered shortly before 12 Noon inside a RV parked on the property.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected as the cause of the death as the highest reading taken in the camper measured more than 400 parts per million.

Autopsies will be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.

It could take six to eight weeks before the results of the autopsies are revealed.

Officer Jim Knoll, spokesperson for the Clarksville Police Department, called Sunday's discovery a tragedy.

"A man that went over to one of the RVs knocked to talk to some people he knew and he found five people deceased inside," Knoll told Nashville's News 2.

The victims were members of Bikers Who Care, an organization of motorcycle enthusiasts who raise money to help kids in need.

"We focus on children helping children. And we have a lot of fun together, we are all best friends and we all ride motorcycles and love to party but are focus is always on helping those children, we think that's the secret of the longevity, the secret of our focus," friend and PR person for Bikers Who Care Steve Eckart said.

The deaths came as a shock to the community.

"They're a great civic organization, they're an integral part of our community, they do a lot of things to help kids, just phenomenal," Knoll continued.

The group was attending a weekend long charity event at the race track and between the five adults leave behind 10 children.

"They've been doing this for 30 years now," Knoll said.  "They had the BWC Toy Run and they had somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 motorcycles in this toy run and they go out and they have a celebration after they've had their toy run."

From the initial investigation, Clarksville police said foul play was not suspected

"From what we've got so far there's no indication of foul play but we are investigating," Knoll said.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which regulates consumer products, including generators, is also investigating the incident.

CPSC urges consumers to take precautions with generators as the exhaust from generators contains poisonous carbon monoxide.

From 2002 to 2006, the CPSC estimates that 25 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with camping equipment, including grills, lanterns and stoves.

Consumers are reminded to not use portable heaters or lanterns while sleeping in enclosed areas such as tents, campers and other vehicles.

Carbon monoxide reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Low blood oxygen levels can result in loss of consciousness and death.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness and confusion.

Read more at CPSC.gov.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.