Metro police: 1 teen suspect dead, 3 arrested amid stolen car investigation

WKRN web staff - NASHVILLE, Tenn. - One teenage suspect is dead and three others are in custody amid a stolen car investigation in Nashville.

The situation unfolded Friday afternoon around 2 p.m. in Antioch around the South Shore neighborhood off Hamilton Church Road, not too far from the La Vergne city line.

Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said the incident actually began two days ago when a woman left her keys and purse inside her 1999 Oldsmobile 88 on Meridian Street in East Nashville.

The woman worked with her dealership to track the GPS signal to Sunset Drive near Hart Lane. Police said the woman found her car, saw it was empty, and went to have an extra key made, but when she arrived the second time, her car was gone.

The car's GPS was tracked again Friday, and K-9 officers, a helicopter and patrol officers were used to pinpoint the vehicle's location on Oceanfront Circle North.

According to Metro police, the Oldsmobile was found driving down Oceanfront Circle by a police cruiser was driving up the same street in the opposite direction.

The driver of the Oldsmobile rammed the driver's side of the police cruiser, pinning the officer inside, according to Metro police. The four teens inside the Oldsmobile then bailed out of the passenger's side and took off running into a wooded area.

Metro police reported a K-9 officer arrived and spotted the four suspects running, so he released his partner Turbo to pursue them.

Just as Turbo reached the wood line, the officers heard a shot ring out. The K-9 officer entered the woods with other officers, not knowing if Turbo had been shot.

He found Turbo had apprehended one suspect, 18-year-old Kendrick Murphy, of Wooddale Lane, while 17-year-old Terrance Goins, of North 7th Street, was discovered deceased on the ground nearby.

Aaron said Goins was either shot by an accomplice or himself; two semi-automatic pistols were found in the woods, and detectives are following up on information a third gun may also have been carried.

No Metro police officers ever fired a weapon, according to officials.

A third 16-year-old suspect was also caught by K-9 officer Turbo about eight-tenths of a mile away in the 7000 block of Marhaden Drive.

The fourth 15-year-old suspect was located inside a shed back near the homes in South Shore in the area of Beachfront Avenue and Oceanfront Circle.

Ballistic testing will be conducted to help determine whether Goins shot himself or was shot by one of the other young men with him.

Aaron said two bullet holes were found on the top of Oldsmobile, "strongly suggesting" one of the suspects got out of the vehicle and fired two shots toward the police car.

"The bullet holes are angled in such a way that they are facing toward the police car," Aaron explained. "The shots were fired in that direction."

Murphy was booked into the Metro jail and charged with vehicle theft, evading arrest and unlawful gun possession.

The 16 and 15-year-old suspects were taken to juvenile detention and charged with vehicle theft and evading arrest.

The investigation is ongoing.


More Stories

Sports Top Stories

Latest News - Local

Video Center