4 suspects apprehended after shooting, police chase - WKRN News 2

4 suspects apprehended after shooting, police chase

Posted: Updated: May 11, 2009 04:49 PM CDT
JD Anderson looks around his Portland home. JD Anderson looks around his Portland home.
Mavis Ann Bracey Mavis Ann Bracey
Jerry Taylor Jerry Taylor
Tajay Vaughn Tajay Vaughn

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Four suspects faces several charges Monday after a brutal home invasion, shooting and high speed chase that spanned two counties.

Just before 3 a.m., police in Portland, Sumner County responded to TGT Road amid reports a home had been burglarized and someone had been shot.

When officers arrived they learned four men wearing ski masks had forced their way into the home of 72-year-old J.D. Anderson and his wife, 70-year-old Mavis Anderson, demanding "guns, pills and money."

Mavis Anderson told News 2 her husband has a gun and knife collection, likely what the suspects were after.
"They demanded those guns and any money we had and you know how things are today, just barely makin' it.  They took money we had," she recalled.

The couple's daughter, 47-year-old Mavis Ann Bracey, was also inside the home and suffered severe injuries when she was shot as many as 10 times by the suspects.

"She tried to crawl or run, I reckon they just kept shooting her," said J.D. Anderson.
Bracey was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where she underwent surgery and is now in stable condition.

Police said the elderly homeowners were beaten by the suspects but did not require hospitalization.

Bracey's boyfriend was also in the home but managed to escape and run to a neighbor's house, who alerted police.

He was also able to provide officers with a description of the suspects' getaway vehicle, a white SUV.

A short time later, the suspects were spotted in nearby White House and White House police gave chase.

The chase, at times reaching speeds of 100 miles-per-hour, continued south into Davidson County.

Metro police joined the pursuit after spotting the suspects' vehicle on Interstate 24 at Woodland Street in east Nashville.

Officers laid out spike strips in the area, which slowed the suspects, but the pursuit continued until the driver of the SUV lost control and collided with a Jeep Cherokee at the intersection of Elm Hill Pike and Air Lane in Donelson.

The driver of the Jeep was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Metro police apprehended all four suspects, one with the help of a police K9.

Two of the men, identified as 26-year-old Jerry Taylor and 22-year-old Tajay Vaughn, were taken into custody at the scene.

The other suspects, 28-year-old Michael Hurd and 35-year-old Mark Dunn, Jr., were taken to a local hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Metro police spokesperson Kristin Mumford said officers recovered multiple weapons from the suspects' SUV in addition to an AK-47 that was thrown from the vehicle during the pursuit.

She attributes the arrests to the well-coordinated efforts of a number of area police precincts.

"Outstanding police work by a combination of East, North, and South precinct officers, by Metro, led to their apprehension," Mumford said.

All four suspects face charges of attempted murder, especially aggravated robbery, especially aggravated burglary, especially aggravated assault and theft.

Taylor and Vaughn were booked into the Sumner County jail on $1 million bond each Monday afternoon.

Hurd and Dunn will be booked and formerly charged when they are released from the hospital.

Powered by WorldNow

441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210

Telephone: 615.369.7222
Fax: 615.369.7329
Email: news@wkrn.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Nashville, LLC. A Media General Company.