McMINNVILLE, Tenn. - Two toddlers were killed early Wednesday when their apartment home in McMinnville caught fire around 3:30 a.m.
McMinnville Fire Chief Kevin Lawrence said the girls, ages one and three, were found in separate areas of the apartment, located in the Asbury Park Apartments on Vinewood Road.
A police officer pulled three-year-old Kayndace from a hallway near the living room. Officials said she may have been trying to escape the smoke and flames.
Firefighters found one-year-old Keely in a bedroom.
"We were informed there were two children in the apartment. One of the children had been brought [out] already by a police officer and CPR was being performed on that child," said Chief Lawrence.
The girls' parents, Mitchell and Rose Stone, were safe.
"We're not sure exactly what transpired as far as how the parents got out and the children remained in the apartment," said Lawrence.
He said it appears the girls died from smoke inhalation.
The fire appears started in the kitchen and appears to be accident.
Chief Lawrence said a hot plate left on in the kitchen may have been sparked the fire.
An investigation is underway.
No one else was injured in the fire.
441 Murfreesboro Road Nashville, TN 37210